From Plate to Planet – Good, Clean & Fair – 7 Pillars
From Plate to Planet
In the United States, members of Slow Food USA’s 200 chapters celebrate the amazing bounty of food that is available and work to strengthen the connection between the food on our plates and the health of our planet. Our members are involved in activities such as:
- Raising public awareness, improving access and encouraging the enjoyment of foods that are local, seasonal and sustainably grown.
- Caring for the land and protecting biodiversity for today’s communities and future generations.
- Performing educational outreach within their communities and working with children in schools and through public programs.
- Identifying, promoting and protecting fruits, vegetables, grains, animal breeds, wild foods and cooking traditions at risk of disappearance.
- Advocating for farmers and artisans who grow, produce, market, prepare and serve wholesome food.
- Promoting the celebration of food as a cornerstone of pleasure, culture and community.
Good, Clean and Fair
Good: The word good can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.
For Slow Food, the idea of good means enjoying delicious food created with care
from healthy plants and animals.
The pleasures of good food can also help to build community and
celebrate culture & regional diversity.
Clean: When we talk about clean food,
we are talking about nutritious food that is as good for the planet as it is for our bodies.
It is grown and harvested with methods that have a positive impact on our
local ecosystems and promotes biodiversity.
Fair: We believe that food is a universal right.
Food that is fair should be accessible to all,
regardless of income, and produced by people
who are treated with dignity and justly compensated for their labor.
Seven Pillars of Slow Food
- Access to good, clean and fair food;
- Agricultural and food biodiversity;
- Small-scale food production;
- Food sovereignty;
- Language, cultural and traditional knowledge;
- Environmentally responsible food production; and,
- Fair and sustainable trade.